Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Spark that set my first book to write

I read somewhere that Margaret Mitchell once said that Scarlett O'Hara represents everything wrong with American women, and that originally she wanted Melanie to be the heroine. Now Scarlett ends up unhappy and without her true love in the end. I kept asking myself, dang are all American women really like Scarlett? Yes many women have ambitions these days, but it's not all to end in heartache.

So this was my spark of an idea for my first novel. I wanted to create a strong man and a strong women who conveyed that yes American women might not always be the Melanie type, but that doesn't make her evil either.

So this thinking was truly the spark of my entire story. Now my story is not historical (though I love reading them!!!) It's modern times and set in small town America. But my girl Phoebe is still a strong woman with a mind of her own which causes her issues, but she's not the type to sit at home wishing on a star. And of course Nicolas is most definitely all male with his own set of macho.

Maybe this should be how I pitch the book? (I still want to revise the ending.)

1 comment:

  1. heard you were looking for a CP on eHQN. Posted to that board too but was unsure about how long before you would log back on. I am a contemporary writer as well, and actually have over half a book written for the American Romance line. If you're interested in being partners give me a buzz. lady_malki@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete