Monday, July 26, 2010

Kindle, Nook, IPad versus Paper books

I was asked alot today if I wanted a book or if I preferred ebooks. I'm not exactly an old fashioned girl, but once in a while the old ways get to me. If I loved a book so much, I wanted my friends and family to read it. Or they forced it upon me.... I'm shouting out to my brother who tried to force me to read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy... I read book One and half of the Twin Towers, but I refused to continue reading description of trees that talked half way through. I literally threw the books back at him.

I will miss exactly this. I cannot share a secret treasure and my friends and family can no longer share their secret find with me. We lose this ability to trade without breaking copyright or pirating. I can no longer lend a friend a book to share the wonder, and they can no longer do so with me. It's different than a movie. A movie is often an experience. A book can be discussed for a long time. Heck I was just discussing a classic on this page.

Either way this is a mourn for my paper bound books, both hard and soft covered. I cherished my books very much, and for friends and family thanks for opening up my reading to new worlds and adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment