Thursday, July 22, 2010

Getting Ready for the Conference

Editors, Agents and other writers, they are causing me such excitement and such fear. I've never published anything, but I'm more than halfway done with my second manuscript now. I've never sent anything out. I am going to the conference to learn about letters, talk about my work, and go to my goal of publishing books.

Now I'm confident in my abilities. I am sometimes over confident in appearance; it's the lawyer training. But inside, I've never sought to entertain people with my writing for money before. It's scary. I ventured into a whole new world. My online fan fics were for online fans of genres and a way to disconnect. Creating my own universe, characters, has been so much fun.

My first novel I drew alot from the classic Mythology of Zeus and Hera. Of course in a romance novel, no one loves a cheater. But I kept her irrational jealousy as something that my heroine must overcome. But my larger than life characters took quite a toll in creating, and I'm still not completely happy with my ending. It might be because I had to let these two finally go. I wanted a major spark and to create a more mythic story. Neither character can outdo the other, and that makes for what I consider a fun read.

So my second novel, my characters are of a much more sweeter variety. (Sweet is just not something to say about either Zeus or Hera types!) I'm calling this my classic Harlequin story. It's two people with issues, but unlike my last book the characters are much more human and sweeter. They definitely still have issues as I cannot stand books where one of the characters is perfect. I don't know perfect people, and it's annoying when the character seem to wonderful. Even my sister tells me that this novel is much more in line with all she's read, though that's kind of bugging me a little as well. Maybe I should re-write with more issues. But then that takes away from my these characters are much more lovable mindset.

Anyhow that's my musing for the day. I'll post two links to two very different fan fics from years past... I've grown up as an author I hope. (My truly early stuff is completely gone.)
Star Trek Enterprise

Days of Our Lives Rex and Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment